WHEN SHOULD MY CHILD FIRST GO TO THE DENTIST?
A child’s first trip to the dentist can have a lasting impact on their dental health for years to come! Because some cavities are unavoidable even in the presence of excellent oral hygiene and a good diet, your child should see your Charlotte, NC pediatric dentist within one year of the eruption of the first tooth. At Holt Family Dentistry we prefer to see kids at age 4 and above. At this first visit Dr. Holt will check your child’s teeth and give you prevention strategies to help ensure a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
The first visit will start with a review of your child’s medical and dental history. You are welcome to accompany your child into the treatment area for our initial exam. After a comprehensive examination of your child, any dental findings and treatment will be directly discussed with you. Dental x-rays are then taken if necessary followed by oral hygiene instruction and cleaning. If very young patients are reluctant for either the cleaning or x-rays, we may postpone that portion of the appointment. We want to make your child’s first appointment a positive experience in order to set the tone for future appointments.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL FIRST VISIT
- Practice opening wide and looking at or counting teeth
- Don’t use “bad” words such as hurt, pain, drill and shot, as your child may dwell on these images
- Don’t tell your child about know about unpleasant dental experiences you may have had as a youngster (you will be surprised how different dentistry is now!)
TIPS FOR PREVENTING CAVITIES
- Brush twice a day and floss once a day
- Help or supervise your child’s brushing and flossing until he/she can do it well (usually age 7 for brushing and 9 for flossing)
- Eat balanced meals
- Avoid constant snacking throughout the day
- Avoid sipping on sweet drinks (juice, soda, Gatorade) for long periods of time
- Using an electric toothbrush is encouraged
The team at Holt Family Dentistry look forward to caring for your family’s beautiful smiles! If you would like to request more information or have any questions, feel free to call your Pediatric Dentist in Charlotte, NC at 704-542-2325.