Broken or chipped teeth can be uncomfortable and completely change the appearance of your smile. Chipped teeth can occur from the most normal daily habits or accidental trauma. It is important to visit your cosmetic dentist in Charlotte, NC for an evaluation as soon as possible. Delaying this appointment may risk what was potentially a minor procedure, turning into a more significant process.
Your Charlotte, NC cosmetic dentist will examine the extent of the damage to the tooth or teeth. This evaluation will allow Dr. Holt to properly recommend the best option to repair. Here are the dental procedures commonly used to repair a chipped tooth:
- Enamel Shaping: A quick and effective technique that correct small chips by smoothing the surface of your tooth. Enamel shaping can also be used to correct natural misshapen or uneven teeth. This procedure can be completed in one visit.
- Dental Bonding: Bonding is usually used to correct less severe chips. A composite material will be molded to cover and restore the tooth. Your dentist will provide instructions to care for the bonding, they typically last the patient up to ten years.
- Dental Crowns: If you have lost a large portion of your teeth, your dentist may recommend a few appointments to complete a dental crown. These custom-made crowns are a protective shell that encases the whole tooth. This procedure will not only strengthen the damaged tooth but improve the overall appearance. It is important to have a broken tooth crowned before it becomes infected or abscessed, which will only lead to more invasive dental work.
- Dental Veneers: Veneers are very similar to dental crowns, but these shells are bonded to the front surface of teeth, instead of encasing the whole tooth.
- Dental Implants: A severely broken tooth may need to be extracted and replaced. This process will require multiple visits to complete. A dental implant will be the replacement tooth that is surgically implanted into the gum line.
Whether your chip is small and hard to notice, or severe and unsightly, we recommend scheduling an evaluation as soon as possible. Your Charlotte, NC cosmetic dentist will discuss all of your options in further detail and find the best one for you. Remember, delaying this appointment could result in further damage or progressed infection if undiagnosed and untreated. Let us help restore your beautiful smile to its full potential.
You can reach Holt Family Dentistry at 704-542-2325. We look forward to hearing from you, so give us a call today!